Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I've been thinking....a terrible past time I know......

So, the other day I was driving around and noticing the nasty soup of air we live in and breath every day, (if you don't live where I do, you can imagine). I did a little research and noticed there is one simple thing that most of us can do to try to help.



Car exhaust makes up about half of the air pollution in our surrounding valleys. We could cut out some of that by not idling when we go to pick up kids, or wait for them, or all of the other things we do. They say if you have to wait for more than 30 seconds it is smarter to turn off your car. I thought it was a really good suggestion and one that I could do. I just feel like anything helps. I found some good things at this website
http://www.cleanair.utah.gov/steps.htm (other things to help cut down on car exhaust)
and this one talks about how it is not bad for your car and actually saves you gas http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/idling.html
and this one was good too
http://www.cleanair.utah.gov/idling.htm

So thanks for letting me get on my little soap box, but what are blogs for?




Avery will put you in a head lock too if you don't even think about turning your car off at least once....



Wilson won't share his bottle of chocolate syrup that he stole from the fridge.....

And Macey will forever look like this......

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for something to think about, Johanna. I really want some of that chocolate syrup, so I'll do my best.
    --Julean

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dangerous pasttime I know... Beauty & the Beast, huh?
    Good reminders. We came back from St. George a couple weekends ago & I couldn't believe how bad it was coming back from clean, fresh air. Yuck.
    Oh, And I love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worse than you think...
    check out this website, and then move to the east coast: http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. humm where did Macey learn that from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Kierra has that wonderful habit too. She's even getting creative to try to hide it from me, turning her head and letting her hair hang down. So fun.

    Thanks for the reminder about the air. It's something so simple, and yet so helpful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip, it makes me so sad if my kids ask me if it is a red day and I have to tell them that it is over and over and over. It is so bad for us, and my lungs can definitely feel a difference too! I love the pictures, especially of Macey, Averi does the same thing too, it drives me nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "little" family is growing up. It has been fun looking at what you have been doing! You guys do a lot of fun things out doors! I only wish you guys could find some outdoor things to do in Cottonwood Heights! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I must say.. it really stinks where you live! (Not that LA is much better.) But that is a really simple thing that could make a big difference, so thanks for the post. And I loved the pictures.. although I think A putting anyone in a headlock looks like more fun than punishment. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola, Jomamma & Court. You guys have once cute family; and thank goodness they're all clones of their mom! I hear you guys are in the Provo-land. Are you going to be there in the fall? Becky and I are moving out there with our 2 little chicas in August for MORE school. We'll have to get together: kenricrussell@gmail.com. Are you still driving a large scary black van? with car seats?

    ReplyDelete